Diet And Lifestyle Tips For Liver Disease Patients
Health Check Certified By: Dr. Gerald Morris
The liver is a vital organ that converts food into essential nutrients. However, liver disease can develop silently and gradually over time due to several factors, including drug and alcohol addiction, toxins, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, medicines, viruses, hepatitis C or B, type II diabetes, and genetic predisposition.
According to the American Liver Association, roughly one in 6 Americans have liver disease. We need our livers for survival. Although there is no specific liver diet, the following nutritional tips may help prevent further damage, and support patients living with liver disease
Hepatitis Diet: Recommended Foods To Eat
For a patient with Hepatitis food choices are not limited to a few bland dishes. There are plenty of healthy, tasty food options which are both beneficial for the liver and for the recovery process.
- Whole grains are very beneficial to consume as part of a healthy Hepatitis diet. These can be in the form of bran, whole wheat bread or cereal, brown rice, whole grain pasta or porridge. Include other whole grains such as whole oats, wild rice, rye, oatmeal and corn.
- Fruits and vegetables should be a significant part of any diet to help in recovering from a liver disease. They are full of essential nutrients and are easy to digest. As a bonus, they also contain antioxidants, which can protect the liver cells from damage. However, it is recommended that one go easy on starchy vegetables such as potatoes when on a Hepatitis recovery diet. While canned or frozen fruits are fine it is always a good idea to try and eat fresh and seasonal produce when possible.
- Olive oil, canola oil and flaxseed oil are all healthy fats that are recommended as part of a diet for patients with Hepatitis.
- Healthy proteins in the form of low-fat milk and dairy products along with lean meats, beans, eggs and soy products can also be a part of a healthy liver diet.
How To Naturally Manage Hepatitis
Hepatitis is a general term used to describe inflammation of the liver. This means there are too many inflammatory substances being produced in the liver, which damage the liver cells. Liver cells are called hepatocytes thus the term hepatitis. Inflammation damages the liver and if left untreated can lead to cirrhosis . Hepatitis can be diagnosed by doing a blood test, if your liver enzymes are elevated this indicates some degree of liver inflammation .
You May Like: Different Ways To Get Hepatitis C
Is It Safe To Drink Prune Juice Daily
Most people dont have problems with frequent urination when they consume half a cup of prune juice each day. Potassium and antioxidants abound in prune juice. Antioxidants and potassium work together to keep sodium levels in the blood balanced and free radicals at bay.
Is prune juice the same as plum juice?
Prune juice has a much denser constituent because it contains more fibers, and plum juice has a much smoother texture. That makes sense since prune juice is made from dried fruits and therefore contains less water and more dried fruit.
Consult With A Nutritionist
If diet is the main obstacle to a healthy liver, ask for help! There are a variety of fairly simple ways you can treat your liver better just through changes in your diet. Book an appointment with a registered dietitian or nutritionist for help developing an eating plan that will lower dangerously elevated liver enzymes and support liver health and detoxification.
An added bonus is that the foods a nutritionist will suggest to ensure optimal liver health can positively affect other organs and your overall health. Since the diet would include a lot of fresh produce and no pre-packaged processed foods , you could see a difference in your weight and lose fat all over your body. When a diet plan optimized for maintaining a healthy liver is combined with working out regularly , you are bound to see some great results.
You May Like: Acute Hepatic Porphyria Treatment Guidelines
What Are The Causes Of Hepatitis B
Some common causes of Hepatitis B transmission include:
- Using contaminated needles: Hepatitis B is transmitted if a needle used on an infected person is reused by another. People addicted to intravenous drugs are at a risk of Hepatitis B.
- Mother to child: Pregnant women who are infected with Hepatitis B can pass on the infection to their babies. This can, however, be prevented if the newborn baby is vaccinated.
- Using unsterilised equipment: Having a tattoo, body piercing, or medical or dental treatment done in an unhygienic environment with unsterilised equipment.
- Blood transfusion: Hepatitis B can be transmitted through a blood transfusion when infected blood which is not tested is donated to someone.
- Sharing contaminated personal articles: Sharing toothbrushes or razors contaminated with infected blood can transmit Hepatitis B.
- Blood from an infected person contaminates open wound: When the blood of an infected person enters into another persons open wound.
Hepatitis B cannot spread through:
What Is The Treatment Of Hepatitis B
Treatment of Hepatitis B entirely depends on the severity of your condition. It depends on how active the virus is in your body and the extent of your liver damage. The goal of treatment is to keep the virus from multiplying and to stop liver damage.
Depending on your condition you may be prescribed antiviral medicine by the doctor. Though, anti-viral medicines are not given in all cases.
Frequent tests may be done to ensure that the virus is not multiplying in your liver. Follow-up visits to your doctor is a must.
If your liver damage is at an advanced stage the doctor may advise you to undergo a liver transplant, though not everyone is a good candidate for liver transplant.
Also Check: Hepatitis C Antigens And Antibodies
What If I Have Extra Weight
Healthy eating and being active is important for everyone, regardless of body size or health. Reaching and maintaining your best weight can support liver health. For people with fatty liver disease, modest weight loss may help slow liver damage.
If you are concerned about your weight or a change in your weight, call 8-1-1 and ask to speak with a registered dietitian.
How Do I Get Hepatitis B Treatment
Usually for adults, hepatitis B goes away on its own and you wont need treatment. Your doctor might tell you to rest, eat well, and get plenty of fluids. You may also get medicines to help with any symptoms you might have but be sure to talk with your doctor or nurse before taking anything.
If you have chronic hepatitis, there are medicines you can take to treat it. Your doctor will tell you about your options and help you get whatever treatment you need.
Tips To Take Pineapple Without Harming Your Liver
You may drink pineapple juice or eat the fruit without causing harm to your liver. Keep the following aspects in mind to be on the safe side.
- Look for the manganese quotient in any food you eat, more so when you have existing liver ailments. Or else, your daily manganese intake will cross the safety limits.
- Try to drink homemade pineapple juice to obtain the maximum nutrients and health benefits. OTC juices may contain fewer nutrients and more of artificial sweeteners and flavoring agents.
- It is better that you eat pineapples that are quite ripe and fresh.
- It is better that you eat fresh pineapple or drink its juice rather than using the fruit in any dish that needs heating up. Heat destroys the bromelain in pineapples.
People often consume pineapple for liver health improvement and reduce the risk of liver-related ailment. This sweet and tangy fruit has all the nutrients to improve overall health and has bromelain, promoting liver health. This enzyme helps keep the liver free of toxins by aiding digestion. In addition, the fiber content of pineapple aids in the treatment of fatty liver. However, consuming pineapple in excess may lead to magnesium toxicity, negatively affecting liver health. Hence moderate consumption is advised to reap the maximum benefits.
How To Lower Elevated Liver Enzymes
The liver is the largest organ in our bodies. Not only that, but its also got huge responsibilities as far as metabolizing the foods we consume for energy conversion, and filtering and eliminating toxins via urination.
Liver damage can begin with very few signs or symptoms. However, once the enzymes in your liver become elevated, health issues will follow quickly in the form of hepatitis, cirrhosis, or fatty liver disease. Here are ten easy lifestyle changes you can make to protect your largest organ and lower liver enzymes
Don’t Miss: Hepatic Cirrhosis Of The Liver
How To Treat Hepatitis B
This article was medically reviewed by Raj Vuppalanchi, MD. Dr. Raj Vuppalanchi is an Academic Hepatologist, a Professor of Medicine at Indiana University School of Medicine, and the Director of Clinical Hepatology at IU Health. With over ten years of experience, Dr. Vuppalanchi runs a clinical practice and provides care to patients with various liver disorders at the University Hospital in Indianapolis. He completed dual fellowships in Clinical Pharmacology and Gastroenterology-Hepatology at Indiana University School of Medicine. Dr. Raj Vuppalanchi is board certified in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology by the American Board of Internal Medicine and is a member of the American Association for Study of Liver Diseases and the American College of Gastroenterology. His patient-oriented research is dedicated to finding new treatments for various liver disorders as well as the use of diagnostic tests for non-invasive estimation of liver fibrosis and portal hypertension .There are 13 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, several readers have written to tell us that this article was helpful to them, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 116,150 times.
Natural Ways To Liver Cleanse
Think of your liver as your bodys housekeeper and handy-person. Really, your liver is responsible for cleaning the body of toxins to keep your internal organs running effectively. Basically the more toxin you take in the more stress your liver suffers.
Perhaps its time to give your hard-working liver a well deserved break by implementing the following 15 naturally cleansing foods
Recommended Reading: How Can Hepatitis C Be Cured
Shun Beef For Chicken
Beef is high in protein and fat and difficult to digest there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. When you eat it too much or too often, your liver has to deal with the excess protein and fat since it can only process so much at once. It then stores the waste, which can lead to serious health issues. However, your body still requires lean protein to function properly. So stick to leaner meats that are easier to digest, such as fish, poultry, nuts, beans, legumes, and lower fat dairy.
Your liver has an extremely vital role in your body it flushes out harmful toxins, converts food to energy, produces protein, and helps run your metabolism. A damaged liver or a liver that isnt functioning properly can impact the rest of your body. Taking care of your liver should be a priority because of the potential from certain foods. So even if youre a red meat lover, at the very least cut back on how much and how often you eat it.
What Causes Autoimmune Hepatitis
Several risk factors have been identified. Firstly, you cannot develop an autoimmune disease unless you have specific genes. The tendency to develop an autoimmune disease runs in families. You wont necessarily develop the same autoimmune disease that someone in your family has you just inherit an increased chance of developing one of them.
Just having the genes isnt enough though. You need to be exposed to one or more environmental factors that trigger the disease. Environmental triggers include things like an infection, specific foods that your body cant tolerate, emotional stress, exposure to chemicals or toxic metals, pregnancy, a nutrient deficiency and others. The third critical risk factor is a leaky gut . So, you need the genes for autoimmunity, you need to have a leaky gut and then you need an environmental trigger to start off the disease process.
Recommended Reading: How Long Are Hepatitis B Shots Good For
If You Have This Chronic Liver Condition Being Careful About What You Drink May Give Your Health An Extra Boost
by Health WriteriStock/filadendron
If you have hepatitis C, a viral liver infection spread through contact with blood from an infected person, youre in one of two camps: In some people, the virus clears quickly on its ownyou may never have symptoms at all. In others, though, hepatitis C becomes a chronic inflammatory condition that requires medical treatment. As with any long-term disease, its natural to seek small ways to keep your symptoms in check. That includes the beverages you drink. While theres not a great deal of science to substantiate a hep C diet per se, experts agree that everything from coffee to soda can impact your conditionfor better or worse.
Is Hepatitis B Curable
Theres no cure for hepatitis B. The good news is it usually goes away by itself in 4 to 8 weeks. More than 9 out of 10 adults who get hepatitis B totally recover.
However, about 1 in 20 people who get hepatitis B as adults become carriers, which means they have a chronic hepatitis B infection. Carriers are more likely to pass hepatitis B to other people. Most carriers are contagious meaning they can spread hepatitis B for the rest of their lives.
Hepatitis B infections that last a long time may lead to serious liver diseases like cirrhosis and liver cancer. About 1 in 5 people with chronic hepatitis B die from it. There are medicines that can help treat chronic hepatitis B infections.
Most babies who get hepatitis B during birth develop chronic infection, unless they get treated right away. But treatments are almost always effective if your baby gets them quickly. Thats why its important for pregnant people to get tested for hepatitis B.
Recommended Reading: Hepatitis C Is It Contagious Sexually
What Is Prune Juice Made Of A Comprehensive Guide
- Date: July 9, 2022
- Time to read: 8 min.
What is Prune Juice made of? This is a question that many people have asked, and for good reason. Prune juice is a popular drink, but not many people know what it is made of. In this blog post, we will discuss the ingredients in prune juice and what makes it so beneficial for your health!
What Are The Complications Of Hepatitis B
Hepatitis B can lead to serious complications such as:
- Liver cirrhosis or scarring of the liver which may impair the liver’s ability to function.
- Liver failure which occurs when the vital functions of the liver shut down. In this case, a liver transplant is needed.
- Glomerulonephritis which is a group of diseases that injure the part of the kidney that filters blood.
- Cryoglobulinemia which is part of a group of diseases that cause damage and inflammation of the blood vessels throughout the body.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy is a group of neuropsychiatric abnormalities in patients with liver dysfunction.
- Inflammation of blood vessels or anemia.
- Portal hypertension which is an increase in the blood pressure within a system of veins called the portal venous system.
- Porphyria is a group of diseases in which substances called porphyrins build up, affecting the skin or nervous system.
- Viral Co-Infection which is simultaneous infection by multiple viruses.
You May Like: Can You Get Hepatitis From Your Own Blood
Natural Ways To Promote A Healthier Liver
All of the supplements listed in this guide are helpful ways to keep the liver healthy. However, some people want to make more of an effort in their own life, which is why changes to the diet and their current lifestyle can help.
Some of the recommended ways to improve the liver include:
- Reducing the amount of fat in the diet, especially saturated fat can create deposits around the liver.
- Use a daily liver health supplement, which can help with inflammation and detoxification.
- Reduce the amount of alcohol consumed regularly, which can cause the release of toxic chemicals in the liver.
- Reduce how many cigarettes the individual consumes daily, reducing the risk of inflammation from the toxic substances used to create them.
- Ease the amount of exposure to different toxins that can influence the livers health, which can be found in cleaning products and air quality.
- Abstaining from illegal drug use, which can irritate the liver.
- Manage the use of medications safely.
What Is A Liver Detox
A liver detox, cleanse, or flush is a program that claims to take out toxins in your body, help you lose weight, or improve your health.
You want to do everything you can to take an active role in your health. But if you think you need a liver detox, you should know that there isnât much it can do for you.
Your liver is one of the largest organs in your body. It helps remove waste and handles various nutrients and medicines.
Most people think a cleanse will help their liver remove toxins after they drink too much alcohol or eat unhealthy foods. Some hope it will help their liver work better on a daily basis. Many believe itâll help treat liver disease.
Like most detoxes, a liver cleanse has specific steps. It may tell you to fast or to drink only juices or other liquids for several days. You might need to eat a restricted diet or take herbal or dietary supplements. Some detoxes also urge you to buy a variety of products.
You May Like: Early Signs Of Hepatitis C And Treatments To Know